Friday, September 28, 2007

The COPD Survivor


Another great Friday newsletter from Cecil Montgomery

Blood pressure and hypertension are one of the major problems that we have always had with lung disease.This drug is showing very strong potential to become a fast acting relief of that problem. It is now in phase 1 trials so it will be a while before we see it. It is good information but more importantly we are now beginning to see progress directed in our particular area.

Angiotensin II Response with First-In-Class PS433540
(DARA)

Results Demonstrate DARA's Potential as Treatment for Hypertension
September 27, 2007: 07:30 AM EST

PRINCETON, N.J., Sept. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
Pharmacopeia , an innovator in the discovery and development of novel small molecule therapeutics,today announced confirmation of the ability of PS433540 (DARA) to block the angiotensin II (AII) response in a Phase 1 trial in healthy volunteers.
Numerous similar studies with other agents that block the renin-angiotensin system support that this result is a strong indication that PS433540 can be expected
to lower blood pressure in hypertensive patients. The study showed that all doses of PS433540 compared with placebo produced a statistically significant (p<0.01)
inhibition of the expected AII-induced increase in blood pressure. Additionally, the findings showed that the 250 mg and 500 mg doses of PS433540 were at least as effective in blocking the AII response as irbesartan, a leading angiotensin receptor blocker for the treatment of hypertension. Furthermore, support for once-a-day oral dosing was provided by PS433540's ability in this study to block the angiotensin II
induced blood pressure increase for 24 hours.
Read the full article here

7 Guaranteed Stress Busters
I came across this article in a copd alert bulletin.
It is "old hat" to many of us but how many ever use it. It is simple and costs nothing with no real preparation. As I am sure we all know that stress is one of our major problems and one we can't really afford to deal with. In many cases this is the beginning of anxiety if not dealt with by learning to cope.

1. Take a walk
2. Take a hot bath
3. Call a friend
4. Relax an hour or so with a good book
5. write a journal
6. play a board game
7. Take a hot bath
8. Plan something fun
Read more Here

Editorial:
I would like to pass on a few things from me to you.
Most won't have references because it is just small stuff that I have picked up over the years and can be useful.

One area that is quite dangerous for us is spousal/caregiver dependency. I have been guilty of it myself on numerous occasions. I find it very easy to ask my wife to get something for me when I am comfortable and don't want to get up. This creates
some irritation on her part and a lack of effort on my part which I can't afford to have. We should all do as much as we can and save the requests for when we really need them.

Another area that we have to be careful in is medications. When prescribed a new medication always check it on the computer for interactions and allergies. Our Dr's and pharmacist would never knowingly give us anything that would hurt us. However, they are both human and can make mistakes. An example, I was prescribed a medication and the DR mispelled it. I took it to the pharmacy and thepharmacist looked at it and filled it because the spelling interpreted into a separate med. I came home
ran it across the drug interchange list and found out that it was for a cardiac medicine and extremely strong. Never assume anything just to save time and aggravation.

I took my wife to the DR yesterday and was sitting in the waiting room while she had some X-rays taken. This young mother came in with a 5 or 6 year old and sit down next to me. The kid asked what the tubing in my nose was for. I told him that I had to have extra oxygen to breathe because I had smoked all those
years. His mother told him to turn around and be quiet. I told her that it was perfectly alright I didn't mind. She went back to reading her magazine.The kid asked me what would happen if I didn't have the oxygen? I told him I would die in a short time. In about five minutes he grabs my tube and takes off,yanking my ears out of socket and forcing me to get up and move with him or damage my cannula. Here is this
six year old leading me around the waiting room with a cannula his mother having fits and I burst out laughing. The whole waiting room was cracking up. she immediately got my cannula back and apologized profusely. I told her no problem. Just another typical day at the DR, LOL.

Our member of the week this week is Sandy. She has contributed quite a bit of information that has been worth while and really seems to want the group to succeed. I hope we all salute Sandy and she continues as she has been.

Until next week remember that we are in this together and to help each other learn to live with disease. It can really have its light moments if we take advantage of them. Ask my Dr's nurse. I had a Dr's appointment and prior to going I put a little bit of oil on my fingernail where they do the pulse ox. He got a
reading of 62. He ran for the Dr and while he was gone I took an alcohol pad I had and cleaned it off. When the DR came rushing in it was reading 96%. Needless to say I got my backside bit but the nurse thought it was hilarious.
However, remember Docs have no sense of humor.